(Born in 1953. France)
(Born in 1969. Canada)
Interspecies Cinematic Encounters, 2020
This installation explores the myriad ways in which cinema has imagined, represented, and incarnated encounters between beings that are commonly seen as belonging to different realms. Assembling excerpts from films where protagonists of our one plural world, or pluriverse, namely humans, animals, plants, minerals, water, fog, ghosts, and spirits come into contact, mediate, affect, fuse, or transform one another, visitors will be invited to wander and wonder, in a scenography of screens convening around poetic and sensate motifs.
The excerpts, between two and six minutes in length,are shown in a loop
• The Assassin, dir. Hou Hsiao-hsien (Taiwan, 2015).Central Motion Picture Corporation, Taipei.
• The Battle of Tabatô (A batalha de Tabatô), dir. João Viana (Guinea Bissau, 2013). Capricci, Paris
• The Box of Life (Sûndûq al Dunyâ), dir. Ossama Mohammad (Syria, 2002).
• City of Jade, dir. Midi Z (Taiwan, 2016). Seashore Image Productions, New Taipei City
• Comradeship (Kameradschaft), dir. Georg Wilhelm Pabst (Germany, 1931). Praesens-Film AG, Zurich
• The Cow (Gav), dir. Dariush Mehrjui (Iran, 1969). Farabi Foundation, Iran
•The Dead and Other Tales (Chuva É Cantoria Na AldeiaDos Mortos), dir. João Salaviza and Renée Nader Messora (Brazil, 2018). LUXBOX, Paris
• Father (Otac), dir. Srdan Golubovic´ (Serbia, 2020). Film House Bas Celik, Belgrade
• Fire Will Come (O que arde),dir. Oliver Laxe (Spain, 2019). Pyramide, Paris
• Kongo, dir. Hadrien La Vapeur and Corto Vaclav (Congo, 2019). Pyramide, Paris
• Leila Attacks (Leila attaque), dir. Chris Marker (France, 2006). Les Films du Jeudi, Paris
• Leviathan, dir. Lucien Castaing Taylor and Véréna Paravel (USA, 2012).
• Monte, dir. Amir Naderi (Italy, 2016).
• My Joy (Schaste moe), dir. Sergei Loznitsa (Ukraina, 2010). Pluto Film, Berlin
• Paradise (Le Paradis), dir. Alain Cavalier (France, 2014). Pathé Films, Paris
• The River, dir. Tsai Ming-liang (Taiwan, 1997). Central Motion Picture Corporation, Taipei.
• Tropical Malady (Sud pralad), dir. Apichatpong Weerasethakul (Thailand, 2004).
Spatial design: COLLECTIVE